Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ethan's Here!

On August 11th (Vince's birthday) we woke to an 8:30 am alarm. We had a 9:40 appointment with our midwife on post. I stood up out of bed and there it went. I peed on myself again! This was the third time. Sheesh! I took my wet self to the bathroom to finish what I'd started, but there just wasn't an end to it. My water had definitely broken! I knew I wouldn't be coming back home, so Vince loaded up the car with out suitcase and diaper bag while I jumped in the shower. When we got to the hospital we didn't even bother to head to the OBGYN clinic, but straight into the labor and delivery ward. The nurse checked us out and confirmed that it was time. I'd had contractions all day and night the previous day, but by the time I had gotten to the hospital I wasn't feeling a thing. My contractions weren't happening, so they started me up on Pitocin for induction. Whew! The contractions came on quickly!!! We went through three shifts of nurses and doctors who seemed to constantly change up the game plan. On Pitocin. Off Pitocin. Back on Pitocin. Every time they checked me I was no more dilated than before. I stayed at 3cm for 13 hours. Ethan's heart rate was going down too, so finally the doctor came in and started his official briefing. I already knew in the back of my mind that this was going to happen. I just knew. I signed the papers and they wheeled me in while Vince donned his white jumpsuit. They laid me out on the table like Jesus with my arms spread out to each side, and put up the infamous blue curtain so I couldn't see a thing. Vince and I just stared into each others eyes while it happened. It's strangely one of the most romantic and intimate moments we've ever had together. I'm so glad he was there. He peeked around the curtain every so often. Just seeing the look in his eyes made me know that whatever he saw was okay. Finally, his eyes widened, and I knew they had pulled Ethan out. He was here! His little cry started, and they passed him over to the incubator in the corner. I could see the chubby white arms and legs wiggling around. He was beautiful already. With one blink he turned pink, and Vince went over to say hello to our little boy. He came back to tell me, "He's perfect!" and kissed my forehead. They wrapped him up and brought him over next to my face. I smelled his sweet breath, kissed him and told him I love him. They put him back in the little warmer and Vince stayed with him while they sewed me up. It didn't take long before the blue curtain was coming down. I asked if I could see my placenta. They knew I was a medic since we'd been cracking jokes about it during the operation prep. I asked if I could get continuing education credits for being there too. If I hadn't been so paralyzed at the time I'd probably have wanted to poke it and inspect it a bit further. HaHa! (I'm sure some people might think that's a little gross, so I'll move on.) Anyway, that's pretty much the story of how little Ethan Michael finally came into the world. Here he is...

Ethan Michael O'Donnell
August 11, 2010
9:51 pm
7 pounds, 6 ounces
20 inches long

15 comments:

Pam Speidel said...

Bless your heart Laura and your precious baby Ethan's too! Congratulations to you and Vince!! Thank you for sharing your EXCITING NEWS! ♥

Marie said...

Yay!!! He's here, and on Vince's birthday too!!! Glad it all ended up okay, even if a c-section is what most of us want (I've had three and if you remember tried REALLY hard not to have one with Daniel). I hated having my arms tied down - it was funny how you put it :) Remember to take it easy - I never realized how much I used my core muscles - to laugh, cough, sneeze, etc, until I had my c-sections. If you're like most moms, you'll want to be up and doing everything like normal ASAP and while it's REALLY good to be mobile as soon as possible, you don't want to push yourself too hard. Let Vince pamper you some while he gets some time off (the Army does that like the AF for new dads, right?). Anyway...enjoy your precious new baby. He's beautiful, and I'm so happy for you guys!!

hugs,
Marie

Shannon Tompkins said...

Congratulations Laura. I've been reading your blog forever, so I know your ups and downs with dating and then deployment. I'm just a few years ahead of you in finding my special someone. Your story was totally deja vu as I got out of bed on the morning of July 8/09 and my water broke too. Picton does bring on those contrations strong! I managed 2 hours before I needed an epidural, I was progressing but the baby wasn't dropping so, almost 20 hours after my water broke. I took a view of the blue curtain as well. Hailey was born on July 9/09, 7lbs 7ozs and 20.5" long. Enjoy your little one and make sure to take it easy as the recovery can be a b*tch. I felt pretty good for the first 5-6 weeks but hurt for the next 6 weeks as I could feel the healing. Congrats again!

Heather P. said...

Awww, he's gorgeous! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Jenn Christman said...

Congratulations! He is just as precious as can be. Happy Birthday to Vince and Welcome Ethan.

Melissa said...

Congratulations to you guys!

Many Blessings,
M.

Joanne Gilch said...

Laura and Vince, Congratulations on your new little Ethan.
Ethan, welcome to the world and the happiest parents!
Wondrous event...thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

Laura, Vince & Ethan,
We have never been so full of joy as when we say Ethan for the first time there in your room. Both you and Vince face's actualy glowed. We love the three of you so much.

Grana & Papa
(Jan & Dad)

Anonymous said...

congratulations Laura and Vince and your new one!!!!

jayne c

Kathy W said...

Congratulations, Laura and Vince! Ethan is beautiful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

He is soooo precious!!!!!! Wow!!! It all seems so surreal!! You have gone through so much since I first started following your blog!!! Congratulations to both of you!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to all of you from the UK.
Ethan is a georgeous baby, but then I guess I dont need to tell you that.
How sweet to have both your sweethearts birthdays on the same day.
Bless you all
Joan
http://stampinslippers-lakeslady.blogspot.com/

Jennifer E. said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby! Thanks for sharing your story!

The Journey said...

So cute- they are in deed a miracle too. I ended up with C section after long labor too. But you did your best. Congrats to both of you!
Linda in Indiana

Bee's Zen Garden said...

Way long overdue congratulations on the arrival of your little Ethan (it's what my hubby wanted to call Nathan, and we already almost called Noah like that. We love this name). I'm glad everything went fine. I have been thinking about you, just been real busy with my own little guy, and no time for blog hopping anymore!... ;-)
Congrats again. Enjoy! :-D