Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Punching Bag

My life is never less than a roller coaster as some of you may know. All of our lives are that way, but this past week has been especially coaster-ish. I try not to complain about my job publicly too much, but I'd be a liar to say I love it all the time. Like I've said before, I LOVE being a SOLDIER, but sometimes I don't love the tasks, the people, wearing green all the time, the waking up early, not being able to keep a nice mani/pedi, and lots of stuff. It's all the little things that I would probably find in any other occupation as well. Those little things though are what seem to break me down as of late. I think my family matters are built up in me too. How do you mourn and move on when you're only allotted a day and half? I wasn't back to work after the funeral for more than an hour before someone decided they needed to break me down (repeatedly). I'm sure it's merely coincidence and lack of tact that this person chose to use those words at that moment, but at the same time I can't help but feel like they're purposefully attacking me for some personal reason of their own. I can't even begin to understand why someone would choose to be so cruel. We all have bad days, and we all take things out on people who don't deserve to be in our cross-fires, but this has been going on for the entire week. It's like a switch has been flipped suddenly. I'm not the only one being used as a punching bag for this person though. I'm just tired of having to hold my tongue sometimes, but really it's probably for the best. I mean, what would snapping back do anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, rather than snapping back, you could just say something like, "was it really necessary to say that?" or even, "okay, my feelings are hurt now, are you done?" or something that you don't have to say in an angry voice or anything, but maybe (hopefully) this person will see that what they're saying really is hurtful. Maybe they don't realize it - and even if it's their "nature" they should consider trying to change. If you do address it to them in one of the kind-of tactful ways I mentioned, then you can go to their superior if they don't stop and ask them to keep the person away from you. Their behavior is not professional and does not make the Army look good if anyone else were to ever see/hear. Just my opinion...

Mary Bennett said...

You know Laurie,
Life isn't easy anywhere any more as things are getting to be pretty tough to live now days and it doesn't seem to get any better and about the only thing we can do is take it to the Lord in prayer and ask Him to help us make it through our day or months or whatever He will if we just ask Him.
We serve an awesome God!